Monday, February 15, 2010

Izis Photo Exhibit - Waking Up Before Noon


I only have one class on Mondays, from 3-6 pm, so I usually use the morning to sleep in and lounge around until I finally have to leave to get lunch and head to school. Today, though, I got up early (well, 10:30, but still earlier than usual) and went to a photography exhibit at the Hôtel de Ville with my friends Mo and Maddy.

The photographer, Izis, was famous for taking pictures of French circuses and of Paris (more info here). I knew nothing about him beforehand, but Maddy and Mo were planning on going and invited me, so I decided to go along. When we arrived we were surprised to fine a long line outside, especially at noon on a Monday, but luckily it wasn't quite as cold as it has been lately and the time passed quickly.

Once inside, we were met with rows and rows of photographs, ranging from Parisian streets and portraits of WWII soldiers to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and the aforementioned circuses. Mo and I both pointed out that we had no idea how to approach an exhibit like this -- how to look at the photos, what we were supposed to take from them -- but I definitely thought a lot of the pictures were "cool" and was glad we went.

After the exhibit, we walked past Notre-Dame and Sainte-Chapelle on our way to get a sandwich, then stopped at a little bakery to get a pastry and some coffee before our classes. All in all, it was a nice afternoon that felt even more rewarding since I knew I didn't waste it hanging around my room at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment