Thursday, February 25, 2010

Appreciate Your (Host) Mother


Lucille, my host mother, is away for the week visiting family (I think). I usually do my own thing in the morning and then head out to school, so I don't really notice her absence during the day. Come dinner time, though, there's quite a big difference. Normally our dinner starts with soup, followed by a main course with meat, vegetables, and some sort of starch, then cheese and bread if we want it, and finally a dessert.

This week, though...

has been a little different. Monday night was pretty standard, substituting grapefruit for the soup, but still having a main dish of chicken and green beans, then cheese, then ice cream. Last night was a little less stellar, skipping the first course entirely and then just having a little frozen ham-and-cheese pastry thing with white rice, and peaches for dessert. Tonight was again a trip into the freezer, this time coming out with ham-and-cheese crêpes (pictured above) and a personal pizza, followed by canned pears with chocolate sauce.

Neither night have I been left hungry, and the frozen food was actually pretty good, but it doesn't compare to getting the full multi-course meal. I'll only be eating dinner here one more night this week, though, and when I get back from my weekend trip to Madrid, Lucile will be home again and dinner will be back to normal. Bon appétit!

The empty fridge in Lucile's absence

No comments:

Post a Comment