Thursday, February 18, 2010

À quels points les français sont-ils fous?

 

Can you spot a cultural difference in the photo above?

I know that in the U.S., people use cloth napkins too (even though, for me anyway, it's pretty rare). No, the difference here is that in Paris, we use the same napkin for at least a week at a time. (And when I say "at least," I mean I've only used three different napkins over the course of 4+ weeks.)

As you might be able to tell, the napkin rings are all different, allowing us to easily identify which napkin is ours when we sit down for dinner each night. In my time here, I have yet to have a dinner so messy that it ruins my napkin, and it helps that there are far fewer "finger foods" -- so, really, the two-napkin thing I mentioned above hasn't been a problem. It's just another one of the cultural differences that, if you tried it in the U.S., people would look at you like you were crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment