Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Nouveaux Amis

Last Saturday night, in lieu of going out with Tufts friends to some club, I spent the evening at home with Etienne and his friends. It was a low-key night, with a lot less going on than there probably was at Showcase, but I can pretty certainly say I had a better time simply hanging out with a bunch of French kids.

More about my night coming up!

When I got home from having dinner, Etienne and his friends were already there and were just finishing up a batch of crêpes, but luckily I was in time to grab a few of the last ones. [Side note: Due to my peanut allergy, I have always stayed clear of all nuts, but I had eaten some cake with hazelnuts in it unknowingly a couple nights before, and was completely fine. I took that as a green-light to try some Nutella, a very popular crêpe filling, for the first time -- it was delicious, and once again, no allergic reaction!]


I had gone out with Etienne a couple of times before and had met most of the people who were over this night, so it was nice to not have to explain my American-studying-abroad situation and be able to just be part of the group conversation. Sometimes it was a slight disadvantage because they would all just talk amongst themselves (read: very fast and thus often hard to understand), but for the most part it was great to just be immersed in all French all night.

We drank some, played a French version of "Scene It," listened to music... not too different from a night I might have with my friends at home. And although it was a bit more mentally taxing having to listen to and speak French the whole time, it was probably one of the few nights I've really felt "at home" here. Paris, school, and my family are all great, but it was just spending time with French people my age that made me feel like I'm starting to fit in here. (Not to mention it's the best way to learn the language.)

I've also made some good new friends from Tufts on my program, so it's nothing at all against them, but I hope in the next few months I'll be able to spend more nights like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment