Tuesday, February 9, 2010

À quels points les français sont-ils fous?


Can you spot a cultural difference in the photo above?

Answer: Nothing in the fridge is covered. No, the French (or at least Parisians), have apparently never heard of Tupperware or Saran wrap. I've seen some aluminum foil in the cupboard, but I think that's used more for cooking purposes, since I've yet to see it covering anything to keep it fresh. It isn't a huge problem -- leftovers still taste good and I haven't heard of or seen anyone get sick because of it -- but it's a bit jarring when I open the door and see, for instance, a plate of raw meat just sitting on the shelf.

Oh, and the fridge tends to smell more than I'm used to. I guess I'll be glad I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. OMG !!! As a Parisian, I HAVE to answer that. You ended up in some sort of wild family. Parisians are usually so afraid of all kind of germs :)

    I felt kinda sorry you had to go through that (and the unrefrigerated milk), but I guess that's what made your stay so memorable :)

    Hope you had a good time here !

    ReplyDelete