Friday, February 19, 2010

Attention!

 

In French, "attention" means "caution," and I just wanted to put a little disclaimer on my "À quels points les français sont-ils fous?" posts.

Recently, a met some friends of Etienne's and am now friends with one of them on Facebook. She read my blog since I link to it there and had good things to say about it, especially this particular series of entries. She did point out, though, that:
tu fais des généralités à partir d'un seul exemple, et tout n'est pas vrai. 
Translated: you make generalities based on one single example, and it's not all/always true.

I just wanted to put it out there that despite the title of the posts, I am of course making generalities about differences I observe here. Not all French people do everything I point out, and while some do often seem like more widespread trends, they are nevertheless trends. I'm not that worried about people taking them the wrong way, but when you do read these particular posts, just take them with a grain of salt and realize that I am using my observations as jumping off points and not necessarily blanket statements about all French people. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment