Friday, February 19, 2010

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?


Tonight, my host family had some friends from Ireland over for dinner. I'm not exactly sure how they know each other, but they were already visiting in Paris and accepted the invitation to come to the apartment for tonight's meal.

The food itself was great (although even some of the Irish guests commented that "the French like their meat rare"), but the best part about the night was hearing the Irish accent. They all spoke English with a heavy Irish brogue, but they also spoke French and it was really interesting to hear such a distinct, familiar accent in another language. I spoke both French and English with them and got along fine, but I really enjoyed just sitting back and listening.

They were very nice and also had four young kids running around, so it was a lively evening. And I think hearing an Irish-French was helpful in that it made me realize that, even if I never got the real French accent down, I could eventually speak the language as naturally and technically perfect as them. That's the goal, at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment